Dear Sisters and Brothers,
Many of us are thinking of our Valentine’s these days — our lovers, intendeds, spouses, classmates, mothers, etc.,etc.
So, what is love?
I have officiated at the marriages of many young couples over the 39 years of my priesthood who have chosen St. Paul’s Ode to Love for their wedding Mass.
It has got to be one of the most awesome pieces of prose of all time.
In the coming weeks we will reflect on it a phrase at a time.
Take the time to take it in and see how you measure up.
- If I speak in human and angelic tongues but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal. And if I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast but do not have love, I gain nothing.
- Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, Love is not pompous, it is not inflated,
- it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury,
- it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth.
- It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
- Love never fails.
- So faith, hope, love remain, these three; but the greatest of these is love. I Corinthians 13
You are Love itself.
We give you thanks for the people in our life who have loved-us-into the persons we are.
We rejoice in them and remember them in love.
But so many of us are wounded because we have not experienced the parental love
that would allow us to know and experience how to love.
Help us take your servant Paul’s words to heart that we may understand the true meaning of love.
May we have a heart that is open to all persons, all of life, all of the universe.
To You Lord, be glory and praise, now and forever.
priest / writer
P.S. I believe the loving energy of the universe flows through the eyes of the little creatures. Note that both Shivvy and his friend are looking at you. When you encounter a little one, take a moment to make eye contact with it and see what I mean. We need to have reverence and respect for ALL LIFE!!!